Meet the Team
Moffitt Cancer Center and AdventHealth have partnered to provide world-class cancer treatment and better access to cancer prevention, education, cancer screenings and early phase clinical trials.
The two organizations are working together to establish a state-of-the-art clinical research facility and provide innovative treatments, such as chemotherapy/immunotherapy infusion at AdventHealth Celebration.
Researchers from both organizations will conduct early phase clinical trials to develop new drugs at this Phase I site in Central Florida, allowing patients to receive critical treatments closer to home.
Through this collaboration, patients across Central Florida will gain access to:
- Personalized medicine to understand and tailor cancer treatments to their unique needs
- Phase I research trials to investigate and test new cancer drugs at AdventHealth Celebration
- Outstanding cancer care in the state of Florida
The Moffitt-AdventHealth Clinical Research Unit is scheduled to open summer of 2020.
The specially trained team at the Blood and Marrow Transplant (BMT) Center has successfully performed more than 1,000 blood and marrow transplants, while providing therapy and treatment for a variety of blood-related cancers and diseases. The BMT Center is a member of the National Marrow Donor Program and certified by the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy for meeting stringent volume and standard of care requirements. The team participate in collaborative research across the country and around the world to bring innovative treatments to the patients.
Neuro-oncology is a specialty of neuro-oncologists, radiation oncologists and neurosurgeons that focus on the diagnosis and management of primary malignant/low-grade brain cancer and spinal tumors in adult and pediatric patients, other cancers that have traveled to the brain or spinal region, and treatment-related complications affecting the central or peripheral nervous system. The neuro-oncology program is certified in Gamma Knife radiosurgery and is on the forefront of innovative treatments and clinical trials.
Our advancements in diagnosis and treatment options, including minimally invasive breast cancer surgery and advanced imaging techniques, have won awards from some of the most noted organizations in cancer care. AdventHealth’s multidisciplinary and comprehensive approach to breast cancer care allows patients access to a team of breast cancer specialists at the Breast Cancer Clinic at the Altamonte and Orlando locations. The specialty team includes medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and breast cancer surgeons working together to develop targeted treatment plans and evaluate clinical trial options for patients based on their type of breast cancer and their individual needs.
Cellular Therapy Laboratory provides hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and other hematopoietic and non-hematopoietic cell types derived from a variety of sources for hematopoietic reconstitution and novel cellular therapies, including CAR T-cell.
Our team is made up of the country’s leading experts, who are focused on treating the entire scope of benign and malignant GI tumors, including anal, colon, GIST tumors, liver, rectal, stomach, pancreatic with an individualized, comprehensive approach.
AdventHealth’s outstanding urology team in Central Florida makes this area a premier destination for the diagnosis and treatment of all types of urological disorders including complex conditions such as cancers of the bladder, kidney, adrenal, prostate, penis, and testicles.
From surgery to chemotherapy and revolutionary technology, like our MRI-guided HDR brachytherapy, your options range far and wide. And we’d be honored to help you choose.
Ranked among the top oncology programs nationwide, our gynecologic cancer team is recognized nationally for excellence in clinical research, minimally invasive robot-assisted surgery and training. Clinical research studies target cervical, fallopian tube, ovarian, uterine, endometrial cancers. AdventHealth Cancer Institute is the only location in Florida to offer clinical trials using an innovative immunotherapeutic oncolytic vaccinia virus for ovarian cancer.
AdventHealth has one of the largest groups of leading otolaryngologists (ear, nose, and throat surgeons) in Central Florida. Collaboration between our surgeons, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists and other specialists is what makes us one of the country’s top-ranked oncology programs.
Our thoracic oncology specialists provide a comprehensive approach to the treatment and management of cancers of the lung, esophagus as well as lung nodules, mesothelioma, and thymoma. Personalized cancer treatment and clinical trials require a thorough understanding of cancer tissue genetics and the targeted therapies for identified genetic changes. Clinical trials also focus on new drug combinations.
Our fully dedicated data management team has a strong working knowledge and skillset in clinical research data management principles and practices.
The pharmacists and technicians in our Investigational Drug Services (IDS) provide accountability, handling, storage, and control of investigational drugs and assure compliance with the standards of the FDA and of the study sponsors for inpatient and outpatient studies. We have two sites where drugs can be shipped: Celebration and Orlando.
This is a time for you and your family to focus on what’s most important, and that’s healing — not all the logistics that go along with cancer care. Clinical research care navigators (available at select locations) are here to help you schedule appointments, connect with your medical team, and assist with everything from financial questions to family conversations. Then there’s our integrated wellness network, with spas, social workers, and support groups, all geared to provide the care you need. We don't just fight your cancer with breakthrough science, clinical trials, and advanced diagnostics and treatments; we fight it by helping you stay brave, optimistic, and spiritually lifted at every step. When you're our patient, you’ll never be alone in this journey.
- Fresh or archived tissue availability.
- Ability to send blocks (instead of slides); if needed slides can also be sent by site.
- Utilize CT guided Biopsy for tissue collection for research.
- Optional biopsies (for research only) are feasible providing sponsor agrees to budget requested and tumor is accessible by CT.
- EKG- Dedicated 12 lead EKG, ability to do own EKG’ with PI oversight. Alternatively, if the sponsor has their own machine they prefer us to use, we are more than capable of utilizing yours.
- The EKG machine is tagged and inspected by AdventHealth Biomedical Dept.
- Drugs can be shipped to Celebration or Orlando sites.
- Hospital-based outpatient infusion: 80 chairs in Orlando, 28 chairs in Celebration.
- Hospital-based (chemo certified) infusion room nurses administer the investigational product. The research nurses do not administer the investigational product, they create the study orders which are customized per protocol and signed by physician investigator.
- ARNP/PA cannot sign investigational orders.
- Crash carts available with CODE access via 911 to hospitals (on-site at both Celebration and Orlando).
- Freezers and refrigerators available.
- All equipment tagged and inspected every six months by AdventHealth Biomedical Department.
- Ability to collect and process labs. Phlebotomist and research assistants on-site to coordinate processing.
- Labs are all marked clinically significant/non-significant by investigators.
- HIV test at screening can be done if required by study. AdventHealth has its own HIV consent form that is signed by all patients on study.
- Access to dedicated radiologist reads and dictates the report per RECIST criteria outlined in protocol. Experience with iRECIST.
- Access to GE Lightspeed RT 16 for CT scans. Slices are 5mm for abd/pelvis and 3.75mm for chest. The MRI machine used is GE Excite Echospeed 8 channel 1.5 Tesla.
- Access to Outpatient CT scanner. Siemens, Somatom up 11101943 P81B, Software Version: VA10ASP.
- Tumor measurements provided by radiology report are transferred to worksheet, reviewed by physician investigator and PI reviews/signs off on worksheet.
Intraoperative Radiation Therapy for breast cancer patients, which reduces damage done to healthy tissues and decreases (or eliminates) the number of post-surgery radiation treatments.
Guided HDR Brachytherapy for prostate cancer patients, which is a minimally invasive outpatient procedure that limits your exposure to radiation through more targeted radiation therapy.
Robotic Prostatectomy for prostate cancer patients, in which our oncology surgeons guide a highly precise surgical tool to operate on delicate organs, for better outcomes and minimum side effects.
For brain and spine cancer patients, Gamma Knife® Radiosurgery allows our experts to remove tumors without affecting the surrounding healthy tissue. Our patients have experienced lower risks of side effects, faster recovery times, and better outcomes.
About the Facility
AdventHealth Cancer Institute Orlando
AdventHealth Orlando is an urban regional destination and high-volume trials site which specializes in all aspects of clinical trials and investigational research. It includes 80-bay hospital-based infusion chairs, investigational drug services, a clinical trials sample processing laboratory, CODE access to the hospital via 911, and other services.
AdventHealth Cancer Institute Celebration
The AdventHealth Celebration site is a national destination located adjacent to Disney theme parks with proximity to Universal Orlando Resort, LegoLand and other locations. The site specializes in all aspects of clinical trials with a focus on early-stage trials as a national destination site. The site includes state-of-the-art investigational drug services, CODE access to the hospital via 911, and other services. Includes 28-bay hospital-based infusion chairs, with future plans for expansion.
In addition to primary sites at Celebration and Orlando, AdventHealth can enroll and accrue patients at satellite sites such as Altamonte Springs, Kissimmee, Winter Park, and other locations. These sites include a range of services from full service, to primarily radiation, to ancillary services such as sample collection, laboratory testing and imaging.