Center for Academic Research Excellence
Meet the Team
The Center for Academic Research Excellence (CARE) supports GME and other academic research projects. Residents engaged in required GME scholarly activity receive guidance from the Clinical Academic Research team comprised of an Academic Mentor, Project Coordinator and Regulatory Coordinator. Residents should initially contact the Academic Mentor (Monica Davila, MD, PhD) for assistance with all types of research associated activity (case study, poster, presentation, QI project or research project). Process guidance will be determined based on the exact nature of the scholarly activity.
Graduate Medical Education website: AdventHealth Graduate Medical Education | AdventHealth
Eligibility for Services
The Center for Collaborative Research (CCR) offers biostatistical consulting services and Health Economics Operations Research (HEOR) to AdventHealth Research Departments for internally and externally sponsored projects.
Biostatistical or HEOR support focuses on the following areas of service:
- Step 1 (preliminary study design) - Advice regarding study design, sample size, variable selection and analysis options.
- Step 2 (advanced study design) – Review of draft research protocol with specific emphasis on the analysis section of protocol.
- Step 3 (study implementation) - Advice regarding proper form for electronic collection of data, questionnaire construction or data acquisition.
- Step 4 (study completion) – Analysis and interpretation of results provided for supported studies. Written report including summary tables may be provided.
- Step 5 (publication) Statistical interpretation section of manuscripts will be reviewed for non-authored manuscripts. Authored articles will have statistical methodology section provided.
Procedure and Guidelines
- Researchers are encouraged to consult early in the formulation of a research project so that study design, primary objectives and analysis are specified correctly. Data elements must be collected in a format that is both manageable and conducive to the appropriate analysis.
- To precisely tailor methods to researchers’ projects, the principal investigator must provide introductory information about the research project requiring statistical or HEOR assistance. If the research project is outside the scope of our expertise, CCR reserves the right to decline assistance.
- Requests for support are ordered according to the date in which they were received, with some consideration given to projects with high priority status. Depending on the number of requests, consulting appointments may take anywhere from one to three weeks to schedule. Please plan accordingly.
- Biostatistical consulting is available to assist with data collection issues, but the collection and recording of information is the responsibility of the research team.
- Researchers must provide study information or data in the proper electronic format before receiving assistance. Data cleaning is the responsibility of the researcher rather than CCR.
- A written report detailing the analysis and results will be reviewed with the researcher.
To Request Statistical Consulting Services, please email CCR by contacting us via email at FH.CCR@AdventHealth.com.
Procedure and Guidelines
The medical editor serves as a bridge between researchers who create ideas and audiences who use them. The medical editor uses a didactic approach to support principle investigators and their research teams in submitting successful journal manuscripts or competitive grant proposals seeking NIH or organizational funding.
- For manuscripts, researchers and students are encouraged to first consult with Statistical Consulting Services early in the formulation of a research project, so that study design, primary objectives and analysis are specified correctly. Data elements must be collected in a format that is both manageable and conducive to the appropriate analysis.
- When the manuscript is ready for editing, the medical editor and researcher will determine the level of editorial support needed to achieve a successful outcome, ranging from proofreading and polishing to substantive editing or post-peer review resubmission.
- For grant proposals, the medical editor is available to assist researchers in organizing the proposal components as well editing the research plan. Researchers are encouraged to contact the medical editor early in the grant preparation/writing process.
- The medical editor also is available to help researchers enhance their PowerPoint presentations and polish their presentation skills. This support option is particularly helpful for researchers for whom English is a second language.
To request editorial support, please email: Seema.Sernovitz@AdventHealth.com.